Tankadin.com Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: new tank trainging spot?  (Read 6216 times)

Hyperyion

new tank trainging spot?
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:17 AM »

With Tanking not being a LvLing art, a toon gets to 80 and is like me, newborn newb.
Anyone know, other than an training dummy, a good practice place to get macro's/Hosac/Horec...the general foundation to tank.
Let's face it, at one wipe and everyone bails, I aint get'n any better.

Skeeto

• Who Needs CC?
Re: new tank trainging spot?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »

Well theres a place in dragonblight that just has undead around i find that a nice place mainly because theres alot of mobs in a little area, tbh i canny remember the name of the place now xD

Yeon

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »

I switched to prot leveling at level 18 and never went back. I'm pretty sure it's still viable. As you level you'll start with killing 2 mobs at a time, then 3, then 4, then you'll pull an entire farmstead in Western Plaguelands into a shack and burn down 10 at a time.

Push your content.  Push yourself:  http://be.imba.hu/

Hyperyion

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

Tbh, I lvl'd to 80 in prot, but never had to hold aggro to keep npc's off anyone....so I got bad bad habits.
I can pull and kill just fine. But it's a new world now.

must.......taunt..........focus......fading.......... (wipapalooza)

That's the practice (to break bad habits) I need so I can macro and not trip over my own ass tryin to find HoR or RD, keep an eye on healbot,  watch for random breaks off me to healers......etc
You know, like juggle with handcuffs on, tap dance the star spangled banner and sing Jon Jacob Jinglehimerschmidt all at the same time.

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »

With Tanking not being a LvLing art...

Who said?  Make it so!  Yeah, I know the arguments back and forth.  I am leveling as a Tank with 'Fynn.  Of course, I also now have the experience, so it makes a difference.  I do think and most might agree, that it is hard to level as a Tankadin the first time around simply because of the overwhelming amount of info/abilities/talents/responsibilities that one must keep track of.

Nevertheless, with some time and experience, I am convinced that one can level a Tankadin almost exclusively by instance, Tanking them, one and all!  That does not mean you would necessarily want to... There are some GREAT rewards from quests that are better than dungeon drops, so...  The key is to balance these things, get as much real tanking done while leveling, and target whatever Tank gear you need from quests, do those quests, and queue for instances in between.

And there's honestly no reason why a noob could not Tank from 20 on up, with decent advice, and a nice guide on the best way to get low level Tanking gear.  We make things hard on ourselves.

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

Galaedria

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »

Having just recently finished leveling from 10 to 80 in prot spec, I think it's easy to get to 80 and still not know how to be a good tank (I'm referring to myself as prime example - I barely tanked any level-appropriate instances). It's a really tough job and I have huge respect for people who do it well. I'm mainly a healer now, but a suggestion for practicing tanking that I'm following is running people through places like strat or scholo or hellfire citadel. Lots of mobs and low levels easily attract aggro which needs to be pulled back.

The place in Dragonblight, was it perhaps Wintergarde Crypt?

As for leveling as a tank and tanking all the instances as you go, I think it's a great plan (and I'll try it on my druid), but I wouldn't recommend it to someone on their first character. So many people have alts they're leveling and they are very unforgiving to new tanks learning the ropes on unfamiliar territory. I'd suggest learn the instances then learn how to tank them, rather than trying to learn both simultaneously.

johanullen

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:44:01 AM »

At the time this post was created there was no such thing as a random dungeon finder, so leveling usually meant questing, grinding mobs or having some high level friend pull you through dungeons for loot, the few times you went into a dungeon with a group was just to try it out for fun and it was hard to actually learn something from it as you did it so rarely.

Most real tanking experience was received above level 60 and probably even above level 70, as not many people play in the lower brackets and without the cross real and automatic group finder it was just so tedious to ever go into a dungeon.

It was still viable to level as in prot spec for AOE grinding your way up to higher levels but that is not the same as leveling as a tank, and the behavior is quite different and even though it teaches you your skills set it will probably also give you some bad habits, as was mentioned by Hyperion.

When I die it is the healers fault,
when the healer dies it is my fault,
when a dps dies it is his own damn fault!

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »

Galaedria and Johanullen: agreed, and agreed!

Yeah, I would not suggest that someone new to the game try to level as a Tank.  And I'm with ya now on the time/era element.  I came to the game recently (November 2009) so I'm not familiar with how things were before then, and even then, as my "I Want to Tank..." thread makes obvious, I knew not what to do, and was quite confused/befuddled, and at times downright discouraged.  But I hope to discover some current tricks of the trade to share in my "Low Level Tanking" thread...

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

Impaqt

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:23:09 AM »

Vykrul...

Any Vykrul village is a great place to practice tanking. The mobs are killable, usually in groups of 2 or 3 and spaced out enough that you need to actively work at chain pulling.

That's what I found, anyway.

I
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tichondrius&cn=Impaqt

It's not adventure unless your life is in peril!

Chasey

• Judging Chasey
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 04:12:43 AM »

Yeah, I would not suggest that someone new to the game try to level as a Tank.  And I'm with ya now on the time/era element.  I came to the game recently (November 2009) so I'm not familiar with how things were before then, and even then, as my "I Want to Tank..." thread makes obvious, I knew not what to do, and was quite confused/befuddled, and at times downright discouraged.  But I hope to discover some current tricks of the trade to share in my "Low Level Tanking" thread...

I leveled as prot in TBC around patch 2.3 before sunwell came out. Here is how it went.....get ready cause its exciting...lol

Pull mob (by getting in range, no HoR at the time) or mobs if you can get them. Seal of choice, judge wis, due to sanc not really giving mana you needed back then oh and we didn't have divine plea. Conc and put up ret arua. And go to the rest room/drink break/do push ups. Come back, re conc, judge and go back to what you were doing. 5 minutes later you were at 75% health, mobs at 5% and then use hammer of wrath. If they were humans, make sure you judge justice or they were running. If you got a caster, you were screwed cuase shield was a 1.5second cast time.
Doing the Isle daillies as I hit 80, I could pull ever undead or corrupted by the inn or vendor place and piss everyone off cause there were not mobs left to kill...Oh how prot has come along.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:15:38 AM by Chasey »

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »

I don't have a clue what you are trying to say.  ::) :-\

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.