Tankadin.com Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Grinding Rep... Which factions should a tankadin grind first in Outland?  (Read 8121 times)

krick

I'm going to be crossing over into outland with my baby pally very soon.  Which rep grinds should I hit first?  I'm thinking about Sporregar for the Petrified Lichen Guard. But after that, I'm not sure.

Mallik

Re: Grinding Rep... Which factions should a tankadin grind first in Outland?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »

My advice: Outland progression is very linear, you will meet with factions one after another in a very clear way.  I would recommend just going through and completing the quests you get.  Sporregar is nice for the shield, but if you end up running the instances associated with them, you will get the rep in no time.

Honor Hold has some nice tankadin items, as does Cenarion Expedition.  Both of which you will meet and quest for quite a bit in the beginning zone(s) of Outland.

If you are looking for a grind, Sporregar is probably the place to start, but I found that there are plenty of quests for you to do that will just get you the rep for most of the other factions through normal progression.

krick

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »

My main is almost a 70 and I did a lot of questing but not much rep grinding.

This time, with my pally, I'm thinking about only rep grinding and not doing any other quests until I hit 70.

Am I insane?

Mallik

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »

My main is almost a 70 and I did a lot of questing but not much rep grinding.

This time, with my pally, I'm thinking about only rep grinding and not doing any other quests until I hit 70.

Am I insane?

Short answer... yes :)

Again, this is my own personal opinion, but some of the quest rewards you get walking into Outland are fantastic.  I had friends in top end raiding guilds crying when they ditched their hard earned epics for solo quested greens.  It would be a damn interesting experiment to see what good gear you could get solely on grinding rep, but remember some of the quest lines give major rep rewards.

Let us know how it goes :)

krick

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »

I'm not too worried about gear from quest rewards.  I have a bank full of gear picked up off the auction house over the last few months.  A few green pieces for each level with a few choice blues sprinkled in where I could find them.  Plus, my main is an enchanter so I can throw on some cheap enchants when I can to help with the leveling process and make the grinding easier.

The hard part is figuring out where to grind first.  I'm only level 58.  Taking on stuff higher than 62 is probably out of the question unless I want to spend a lot of time drinking after every fight.

I'll probably try to do some pickup groups for instance runs that give rep as soon as I'm eligible.  However, my gear and build is set up for AOE grinding and I'm sure people will want me to tank.  I might not be a bad healer though in a pinch since I have a lot of +spell damage and healing gear.

Mallik

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »

There is a fair amount of demon type mobs to the east of Honor Hold (I am assuming that you are Alliance, because I am an old paladin) that spawn fairly quickly and would be pretty easy to isolate the melle mobs.  Might be a good place to start to get some levels.

At even level I found it hard to aoe grind on the bog lords in the south west of Zangarmarsh, in the Sporregar spawning area, they have a nasty poison that stacks and they have a knockback effect that will push you (and them) back out of Consecration range.  If I recall, the same type of mobs are to the north east, and they aren't nearly as tough.  You might want to check them out for your grinding enjoyment.

mpohagan

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:25 AM »

I do like the sound of not questing at all until 70 :)  I myself have been considering with alts that it might be worthwhile just questing through hellfire and possibly zangarmarsh, and grinding the rest of the way to 70, leaving all the quests with their increased gold rewards to do at 70.  Thats a lot of gold.  As for grinding for rep, thats not such a bad idea either.  If you grind rep of mobs (and maybe run a lot of instances) rather than doing the quests, you can save the quests for when you hit revered (or honoured as each case may be) where you no longer get rep for kills etc. 

I've done a fair bit of grinding on the bog lords in zangarmarsh, and Quagg Ridge seems a pretty good place for it.  The mobs are close together, and theres a good amount of level 64 mobs that have a higher droprate on motes of life.  I'd say its easily possible to pull 10+ of the mobs at once.  That disease thing does quite a bit of damage when it stacks to 5, but to be honest when I was grinding them I was only killing a few at a time so it wasn't really a problem - I'm not a real prot pally :D  Also look out for the mushroom spores that the bog lords drop.  They reduce your movement speed and I think may do damage.

krick

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »

I've been working on my grind and have been loosely documenting along the way.  I'm up to 66 now, and it's going pretty well. This is what I've done so far...

58 - Enter outland through the portal, following the quest chain until you unlock the Helfire Fortifications, then STOP doing quests in hellfire peninsula.  I think the pre-requisite quest is "Forward Base: Reaver's Fall", at least for Horde.  From now on, do Hellfire Fortifications daily.  Grind on shattered-hand mobs (5 thrallmar rep each) until friendly, then start running ramparts.  Continue running ramparts and hellfire fortifications until Honored.

59 - Between ramparts runs, head to zangarmarsh and start grinding on Marsh Dredgers and Marsh Lurkers (15 sporregar rep each) in the cave in south-eastern zangarmarsh.  Remember this cave, you'll spend a lot of time here.

60 - Pick a side in shattrath (aldor/scryers) if you choose, but don't do any quests that give rep yet. start watching the auction house for the appropriate turnin items.  I chose aldor and I buy marks of kiljaden or marks of sargeris that I see for under 50s each.  I buy fel armaments that I see around 10g each.  You won't start doing any quests until you hit honored with your chosen side with only turnins.  Turn in your plant parts in Cenarion Refuge, then go to the auction house and buy the rest that you need for turnins to get you to honored with Cenarion Expedition.  Save uncatalogued species until honored, then turn them in.  Do all quests that give Cenarion Expedition reputation available at 60.  There are some are in Terokkar forest too. Then grind in the cave until 61.

61- Do all quests that give Cenarion Expedition reputation available at 61. Then grind in the cave until 62.

62 - Do all quests that give Cenarion Expedition reputation available at 62 (don't forget count ungula). You'll need to run slave pens and underbog at least once to complete "Lost in Action". Do all the available quests that give Sporregar rep, then grind rep in the cave if necessary until you are honored.  Go buy your Petrified Lichen Guard and put the best shield spike on it you can afford.  I recommend Felsteel shield spike. you can buy arakkoa feathers on the auction house and start with the turnins for lower city rep at this time if you so choose. By this time, you should be honored with Thrallmar, start doing all the quests in hellfire peninsula that give thrallmar rep, including the chain that gives you Mag'har rep (we'll start grinding that later).

63 - Continue thrallmar quests (you're still doing helfire fortifications daily, right?) and any remaining sporregar or cenarion quests, returning to the cave to grind to 64 if you run out of quests.

64 - Head to nagrand and start doing quests that give mag'har rep along with the few that give consortium rep.  DO NOT GIVE THE MAG'HAR ANY BEADS.  Mag'har rep is easy to get from killing ogres. Give ALL beads to the consortium.

65 - Do the (one?) consortium rep quest that you can get at 65, and continue doing mag'har quests. If you tire of quests, you can grind ogres for the beads as a diversion.

66 - ???

This is where I am now.  Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.  I'll review my notes when I get home (I'm at work now) and update this if I made any errors.

drew

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »

In my opinion the three best things you can get are gonna be keepers of time and shat'ar(shield from shat'ar, spell damage blade from keepers as well as helm enchant).  :)

so until you get to 70 i wouldnt worry about grinding rep.

krick

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:05:18 PM »

In my opinion the three best things you can get are gonna be keepers of time and shat'ar(shield from shat'ar, spell damage blade from keepers as well as helm enchant).  :)

so until you get to 70 i wouldnt worry about grinding rep.

If you have to do quests anyway, why not quest the most efficient way possible?

Do just the ones that result in rep and quest reward gear you need, saving the rest for after 70 for generating epic flying mount money.

Personally, I think the Petrified Lichen Guard shield from Sporeggar (honored) and the Strength of the Untamed necklace from Cenarion Expedition (revered) are worth getting.  As I jewelcrafter, I'm also interested in the tanking trinket pattern from Thrallmar and all the jewelcrafting gem recipes from the Consortium.  We also can't forget about Aldor/Scryer rep.  I went Aldor and I definitely wanted to have access to the Vindicator's Hauberk chestpiece and the shoulder enchants as soon as I hit 70.

There's definitely some items that I want from Keepers of Time rep, but it's not really possible to "quest" rep with them until your late 68 or so.

Fortunately, Crystalforged Sword and Shield of the Wayward Footman can be purchased off the auction house.  Crystalforged is comparable to the Continuum Blade from keepers of time, and Wayward Footman is good enough to hold you over until you can get Exalted with the Sha'tar for the Crest of the Sha'tar shield.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:22:30 PM by krick »

drew

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

If you are 66 now i would hit up durnholde unil your eyes bleed.   the neck out of CC rep isnt that good, can be replaced by neck from SV Normal.  When you get flying mount doing bot will get you a chance at one of the best blue tanking shields in game and rep to get you closer to the shat'ar sheild. Vindicator's Hauberk chestpiece is nice.. but no sockets.  u can get an awesome chestpeice from doing mech normal(and more rep with shat'ar).  as far as quests i just looked them up and just did the ones for gear, and then went to instances for the other gear i needed.  Geeting honored with each faction is easy enough, and thats all you need for your heroic keys now... oh and just as a warning i wouldnt try any heroics until you have at least 40% avoidance.  shield block will get you dead real quick in heroics.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.