Tankadin.com Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Leveing role questions  (Read 2163 times)

schempf

Leveing role questions
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

I am a level 22 pal with tanking and cloth healing heirloom gear. i would like to level to 60 by doing only dungeons. my question is, do you think its faster/easier to level as a tank or as a healer. im taking the folowing into account when trying to make this decision

If i level as a Tank (Prot)
- I am usually top dps when tanking and therefore make the runs go a little faster.
- I can take on larger faster pulls.
- Im much better geared than most tanks and can hold aggro against aoe
- lately ive had bad luck with healers going afk without saying, sometimes resulting in deaths
- some of the healers have been queing in horrible gear and i have to wait for their mana

If i level as a healer
- i never go OOM and the tank will not have to wait for my mana
- i can heal the tank through just about anything
- can heal dps that pulls aggro through most pulls
- sometimes the tank can have no clue what hes doing or pull very slowly
- dps is much slower if im healing

Any tips are appreciated on how to make my runs go much faster and what spec has been best for you guys. i plan on being PVP holy at level 80 but for leveling i just want instant ques so it doesnt matter if i tank to make things faster. if you have anything to add to a plus/minus to the tank or healing options please share

Krellarom

Re: Leveing role questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »

I think that you are spot on with most of what you describe for both tanking and healing as you level through the dungeons.  The common factor with both roles is that you can only influence your group to a certain point.  You will nearly always have a mix of players, both experienced and new, and your runs will only go as fast as the group as a whole can handle.  As a tank, you can compensate for 1 and maybe 2 dps that might be new and/or struggling, especially if you have your heirlooms and know what you are doing.  But you can still only proceed as fast as the healer will allow without wiping. 

Same thing goes for healing, even if the tank in your group is a real gem, the dps might be some flavor of crazy and you can't heal 4 people all taking damage at the same time and expect the run to finish in record time.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to allow for the fact that nearly every group you have will have 1 or more new, inexperienced players, and also might contain 1 or more complete jerks that have multiple 80's and just like to run lowbie dungeons to aggravate other people for their own enjoyment.

Personally, I see my tank queue almost instantly while my healer can be almost instant to nearly 10-15 minutes sometimes.  I think you have more control over the run as a tank, but again you can only do what you can do with the other 4 players and hope for a run that goes well and fast.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out for you.

Isilador

• Armory
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »

If you are planning on lvling with nothing but dungeons then you also need to look at time spent in the que. As a tank you will receive near instant ques while leveling up, I find as a healer the waits can exceed 10 minuntes at times. This is usually the source of most of you downtime.

Ironshield

• Ironshield's Random Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

First off, bare in mind that you're asking a room full of tanks :)

All I would add is that you're not gonna ever be guaranteed of a PuG full of experienced players so you have to run with what you've got, I had a 'healer' paladin once who had RF up and ran off seemingly trying to solo the dungeon... But aside from the real nightmares most of the 'n00bs' where a lot less trouble than the 'experienced' 7x80s DPS gogogo'ers who just think they can burn down the dungeon on their own, forgetting that with none of the talents or gear at lower levels it takes a bit more time!

You just have to play within the limitations of those around you, after all it's quicker to wait for a oom healer to have a drink that to wipe!

And at 40 you can just dual-spec and take whatever role is required...

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.