Tankadin.com Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grinding for gold spots?  (Read 7724 times)

johanullen

Re: Grinding for gold spots?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »

You are so right about the compulsion stuff, if you don't enjoy it don't do it. I currently have several compulsions;

Every day I must:
first I do one random heroic for the frost emblem,
next try to do a battle ground so I can get the 25 arena points.
It used to be worse when I had to do all the arena dalies so that I could get my champion status with all cities, fortunately I've laid that on ice (it did give me a lot of money though),
before I usually had to do as many random heroics as I could too so I could get emblems of triumph, I think I've managed to get about 60-70 emblems in one day.

Then every week I must:
weekly raid, this is pretty easy to find a group for and has no constraints in when you can do it,
unlike VOA that I also must do for the 4 extra frost emblems, alliance never has WG on my server so this can take ages of waiting to get, then it takes ages again to find a group, first for 10-man and next for 25, worse yet I often feel I have to take charge and create my own raid with 1-2 friends and then I'll have to deal with all the people that drops out for no other reason than to get into another raid that is just as hopeless since all players just shift between the 5-10 existing LFM groups and never being patient enough to stick with one.
finally the worst part, finding a group to take down a boss or two in ICC and/or ToC... This can be just awful as people either expect every single player to know every single boss till the end by heart or just dinged 80 and believe they can sneak in and get pulled through the whole raid. Then once you get 9 people and just trying to get that last dps half the raid decides they have no more patience and need to leave, leaving you with a one step forward two steps back every single time you manage to recruit someone.

I don't really understand why people can't accept playing with people who have never done it before. There are loads of players who spend day and night gearing up running heroics (much like I do) and they deserve a chance to try a few bosses in the end game raids too, don't they (we)? But as soon as these guys who have done it once finds there is at least one player in the raid who does not have the achievement they drop out, leaving the raid with no experienced players at all.

But soon I realize something... Well I've done Marrowgar twice in PUGs without any problems at all (lie, we wiped once the second time but we did ace it the second time) and I know the tactics from reading about it on wowwiki and watching the tankspot videos. Lady death whisper was a lot tougher but no one seemed to know what we were doing on her (me included, I'm pretty sure I can deal with it now). Well last night we came to Marrowgar and wiped 3 times, then gave up, we tried to explain how to do it over and over again but that was when it struck me: some players just have an innate ability to not listen and learn, they just ignored everything we said and of course we wipe. So maybe those elit j***s have a point in asking for achievements after all.

I know this kinda strayed from the topic of gold farming but it is about another form of currency farming so I thought it fit better here.

When I die it is the healers fault,
when the healer dies it is my fault,
when a dps dies it is his own damn fault!

krick

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »

...I'm doing some dailies (of which I am mostly ignorant, lacking still a full understanding of this "daily"/"weekly" concept)

The quests in WoW fall under several categories...

1) one-time quests - once you do it, it's done.
2) repeatable quests - repeat as much as you want (reputation turn-in quests, usually)
3) daily quests - you can do the quest once each day and it "resets" at 3am (I think) server time
4) weekly quests - you can only do these once a week.  The Wintergrasp quests are weekly, as is the raid quest for 5 frost badges.

Sometimes using LOS to pull casters out into hallways (but I hate getting knocked back by the warriors that guard them, lol...), and other times just giving them the bums' rush.  

Try to position yourself out of line of sight of the casters, preferably in a corner so you can't be knocked back.  I love doing giant multi-room pulls in Stratholme and then backing into a corner so that they can't hit me from the sides or knock me back.

Another fun thing to do is to use [Turn Undead] to "fear" a single mob into a big room where they'll bounce around and aggro a bunch of other stuff.  Let them do the work for you.

Also, you might want to do the quests that give you the trinket [Seal of the Dawn] or [Rune of the Dawn] that allows you to collect Scourgestones that you can turn in at Light's Hope Chapel for Argent Dawn reputation.  It's up to you.  I'm trying to complete [40 Exalted Reputations] for "The Exalted" title.

Getting lots of stacks of Runecloth, and right now selling them all for 2.5g a stack.  But I may just do what you are saying, maybe set a target price of selling them for 5g a stack, buy up those under my target price, and re-list them at 5g.  Heck of a lot of Runecloth drops in there...

Never try to corner the market on something like cloth.  People can always farm more and undercut you.  Just dump it on the auction house at market price.  I have had some luck selling cloth slightly over market price by listing it in smaller stacks (usually stacks of 9).  I tried to corner the market on [Righteous Orb] one time, but everybody that had them sitting in their bank dumped them on the auction house and undercut me to the point that I lost money in the end.

Right now Blood is trying to decide whether he is saving up for his Artisan riding (and yeah, he is...) or if he first wants to get a pair of [Saronite Swordbreakers]...  They "only" run about 2300g on my server, but the mats should be much less to obtain.  (8 Titansteel Bars, 20 Saronite Bars, 4 Crusader Orbs).  I can obtain everything I need except the Orbs thru my mining and BS.  

You can purchase Crusader Orbs two ways...

15 [Emblem of Triumph]  -OR-  6 [Frozen Orb]

...from two different vendors in Dalaran.

You'll get Frozen Orb by running random heroics.  Hell, I've got over 100 Frozen Orb in my alt guild bank right now.

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »

On the subject then of Frozen Orbs, yes, I've seen several drop as I'm in instances - seems like usually at the last boss...

Because I "need" them for my purpose of gearing up for an awesome Tank piece, would I be justified in "NEEDing" on them in the Loot Roll?  So far I've always hit GREED, but then again, so far I have not realized I would need them...

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

krick

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »

On the subject then of Frozen Orbs, yes, I've seen several drop as I'm in instances - seems like usually at the last boss...

Because I "need" them for my purpose of gearing up for an awesome Tank piece, would I be justified in "NEEDing" on them in the Loot Roll?  So far I've always hit GREED, but then again, so far I have not realized I would need them...

Correct, they drop from EVERY final boss in a heroic instance.  You can no longer "NEED" on them when you're in a random.  I think that if you assemble your own 5-man group and queue for a dungeon, then you CAN roll "NEED" but I would ask the group first before you roll need.

amadard

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »

Krick has a lot of good information on using Auctioneer.  My friends who introduced me to WoW have always made fun of me because I like the market so much.  Last summer I played for 3 months, started a new character on a server with no friends to give me monetary support.  Using Auctioneer I ended the summer at lvl 69.5, with 6.5k gold in pocket and had over 30k go though my pockets in those three months.  I was buying every epic gear piece I wanted, all the best enchants and gems, as well as all mounts as I hit the level.  I was a twink, but with no backer, all because of Auctioneer.

So, enough of my story.  To give you my secrets!  Not really all that secret, Krick hit a lot of them.  I would recommend selling common items, I held onto some epics for months, because no one was buying.  Never did sell some of them, I gave them away eventually, I got so tired of putting them in AH.  Metal and cloth are the best, but leather and herbs do well too.  At least on my servers. 

Many of the metals do better if you smelt them, such as gold ore, but one like Silver ore, or Truesilver, which are bottlenecks in the smelting leveling, sell for big bucks.  Such that I normally sell silver 1 by 1, rather than any stack.  Other good metals are thorium and mithril.  Mid range metals, so what were high in vanilla, sell well.

Wool and above sell like mad.  I never get any runecloth back into my mailbox, they sell so quick.  Buy cheap, sell high.  People will buy!

With leather in Wrath I figured out a cool scheme.  Buy borean leather for cheap, and then convert it into heavy borean.  I would normally sell them for small stacks, (5x), because when I was lvl 12 I wanted one of the big bags, but didnt have the gold to buy a full stack of heavy.  And it sells better in smaller stacks, because that is the case with many people.  You have to do a little math to make sure you are making money, (20 borean in a stack, 6 borean for each heavy, how much are you making?), but it worked like a charm.  I get leatherworkers to change a couple hundred for me for 20g, and sell it easy.

The best leathers to sell, I found, are the main ones, heavy, light, medium, borean, etc.  The weird ones, like scales and tiger leather, dont sell well because they are only used in a few rare recipes.

I gave up on selling herbs, but that was because I have a scribe and alchemist alt.  Fun to have a lvl 10 with maxed professions.

Depending on the server, bags are amazing.  My tankadin server is crappy, other people have that market, but my shadow priest does good trade in them.  With those, find someone with all the different recipes.  Leveling characters dont have the money for the biggest bags, so the smaller bags from vanilla and BC are great.  They require a lot more materials than Wrath bags, but they are easy to collect if you are looking for them.  I love making a dozen soul pouches and selling out in a week.  Costs less than 12g to make during a bad week and sells for 20g on my server, while the abyssal is in the 400g or more.  I personally love the Cenarion Herb Bag and Satchel of Cenarius.  But, you have to have someone with the recipes.  Trade chat works if nothing else.

Basically, sell what people need.  What EVERYONE needs.  There is a demand and just make sure you are the supply.  On my tankadin and my shadow priest my name is on most every page of the Trade Goods tab.

Use Auctioneer.  It is your friend.  Good luck making money!

Freshtankadin

• You Tank I Heal, we both LIVE
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »

All right, I'm inspired. I have auctioneer and am doing daily scans for the next week. I'm still going to farm strat until I feel I have a good base for auctioneer, while using auctioneer for the items I get in strat. We'll see how it works out. So far righteous orbs seem to be working for me.

BLOODIRON, you never posted if strat was working for you. I saw that you are enjoying the farm, for the same exact reasons I do. But are the orbs selling for you on your server?
I couldn't help but notice you noticing my PVPness

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »

Frozen Orbs - I've gotten total of 9 so far in my 4 Strat runs...  Two runs gave 2 each, one run gave 4, and last night's run only dropped 1.  I've sold 4 so far at 50g each.  I've also sold a good majority of the BoE Blues and Greens that I've got from there as well, and I've also gotten a few Purples out of there that have sold quickly.

I think I mentioned an epic Black Diamond I got outta there, sold it for 300g, undercutting the two others of the same type by about 40g I think.  Anyways, when I have the time this weekend, I'll see about getting Auctioneer again and give it the same shot you are talking about.  Do like they say, just open it and let it scan while I'm doing something else around the house.

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

amadard

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »

One hint for the future.  Find out what items are going to come out in Cataclysm and what materials are necessary for them.  Then make sure you have those materials, either before the patch, or immediately after the patch when they come out.

Frostweave bags is a perfect past example.  I got some stacks of infinite dust the week after Wrath came out for around 10g, because people didnt know what to sell them for.  I did the same with frostweave cloth, and then had a bunch of dirt cheap frostweave bags.

A little research before patches come out goes a long way, like the people who stocked up on herbs before inscription came out, and made bank off it.  After 3.3 I am making sure I have an alt with each profession maxed.  I wanted to get some primordial saronite and sell the shells and arrows, but couldnt because I didnt have an engineer.  Missed opportunity to make lots of money by getting into the market before anyone else.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 21 queries.