Tankadin.com Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Icecrown Citadel Quick Gear Guide (pre-patch 4.0.1 - outdated)  (Read 21549 times)

krick

I posted this in my guild forums, but I think it could be useful here as well.  This is meant to be a generic guide for all classes.  There is some debate about the value of getting the T9 4-piece set bonus.  For some classes, it's good, for others, not so much.  I've outlined a set here with the 4-piece T9, but in the second post, I went with both off-set badge pieces since the prot pally 4-piece T9 isn't that great.

For those of you who are currently starting ICC10 or want to run ICC10 in the future, you should shoot for 5000-ish gear score.  With the easy triumph badges from running random heroics, plus the great crafted pieces available, getting 5000 (or damn close) shouldn't be a problem.  Here's a typical breakdown for most classes...

Crafted
Wrists - 245 (made with crusader orbs)
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter=sl=9;minle=245;si=2;cr=86;crs=11;crv=0#0+13+1

Feet - 264 (made with primordial saronite)
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter=sl=8;minle=264;si=2;cr=86;crs=11;crv=0#0+13+1

Feet - 226  (made with runed orbs.  get these only if you can't afford to get the better boots crafted)
http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter=sl=8;minle=226;maxle=226;si=2;cr=86;crs=11;crv=0#0+13+1

NOTE:  Buy the materials and have these items crafted from someone you find in the trade channel (assuming nobody in the guild can make the item).  Do NOT buy crafted items off the auction house.  Laziness will cost you money.

The badge gear follows.  The first number is the quantity of badges, the second is the item level...

Emblem of Triumph
50 - 232 - T9 chest
50 - 232 - T9 legs
30 - 232 - T9 shoulder
30 - 232 - T9 hands
75 - 245 - non-set head
50 - 245 - trinket1
35 - 245 - ring1

Emblem of Conquest (purchase with triumph)
28 - 226 - belt
19 - 226 - neck

Emblem of Valor (purchase with conquest)
25 - 213 - cloak
25 - 213 - ring2

Emblem of Frost (do not downgrade these to Triumph)
50 - 264 - cloak (to replace valor cloak)
60 - 264 - trinket2 or belt (whichever is the better upgrade)

Additionally, there are drops in the upper level 5-mans that are in some cases better than some of the badge gear.  Different stuff drops in normal vs heroic so you'll likely have to run both versions to get all the best drops.

ToC(N) - 200
http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter=minle=200;cr=105;crs=4723;crv=0#0+13+1

ToC(H)/FoS(N)/PoS(N)/HoR(N) - 219
http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter=minle=200;cr=106:105:105:105;crs=4723:4809:4813:4820;crv=0:0:0:0;ma=1#0+13+1

FoS(H)/PoS(H)/HoR(H) - 232
http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter=minle=200;cr=106:106:106;crs=4809:4813:4820;crv=0:0:0;ma=1#0+13+1

Once you've run out of things to purchase with Emblems of Triumph, you can downgrade them to Emblems of Heroism and purchase epic gems in Dalaran.

You can also purchase epic gems from the vendor in Orgrimmar this way...

150 Stonekeeper Shard --> 5 Wintergrasp Commendation --> 10,000 honor --> epic gem from vendor

Most people have hundreds (if not thousands) of Stonekeeper Shards after running lots of random heroics for badges.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:41:26 PM by admin »

krick

Re: Icecrown Citadel Quick Gear Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »

By request, I've put together a sample pre-raid gear set.
This is the Horde set.  The Alliance badge gear is equivalent but has slightly different names.

This set is entirely composed of items that you can purchase with Emblem of Triumph, drops from 5-man dungeons, and one crafted item:

245 - head - [Headplate of the Honorbound] - 75 Emblem of Triumph
232 - neck - [Fossilized Ammonite Choker] - drop Halls of Reflection (H)
245 - shoulder - [Shoulderguards of Enduring Order] - 45 Emblem of Triumph
213 - back - [Platinum Mesh Cloak] - 25 Emblem of Valor (downgrade triumph badges)
232 - chest - [Liadrin's Breastplate of Conquest] - 50 Emblem of Triumph
245 - wrist - [Saronite Swordbreakers] - crafted
232 - hands - [Liadrin's Handguards of Conquest] - 30 Emblem of Triumph
226 - waist - [Shieldwarder Girdle] - 28 Emblem of Conquest (downgrade triumph badges)
232 - legs - [Liadrin's Legguards of Conquest] - 50 Emblem of Triumph
232 - feet - [Black Spire Sabatons] - drop Forge of Souls (H)
245 - ring1 - [Clutch of Fortification] - 35 Emblem of Triumph
219 - ring2 - [Mark of the Relentless] - drop Trial of the Champion (H)
245 - trinket1 - [Glyph of Indomitability] - 50 Emblem of Triumph
232 - trinket2 - [Ick's Rotting Thumb] - drop Pit of Saron (H)
245 - libram - [Libram of Defiance] - 25 Emblem of Triumph
219 - shield - [Splintered Door of the Citadel] - drop Halls of Reflection (N)
232 - weapon - [Rimefang's Claw] - drop Pit of Saron (H)

Number of Emblem of Triumph required: 413
Number of drops: 6
Number of crafted items: 1
Gearscore: 4962

You get 6 Emblem of Frost from completing the quest chain for the three new instances, 2 Emblem of Frost for the first random heroic of every day, and 5 Emblem of Frost for the weekly raid quest.  So in a little over 2 weeks, you can have enough badges to purchase the cloak (50).  I you save them for 3 weeks, you will have enough for the trinket or belt (60).

If you purchase the Frost badge cloak, and splurge on the crafted Primordial Saronite boots, this is what the set looks like:

264 - back - [Sentinel's Winter Cloak] - 50 Emblem of Frost
226 - waist - [Shieldwarder Girdle] - 28 Emblem of Conquest (downgrade triumph badges)
264 - feet - [Boots of Kingly Upheaval] - crafted

Number of Emblem of Triumph required: 388
Number of Emblem of Frost required: 50
Number of drops: 5
Number of crafted items: 2
Gearscore: 5114

By request, here's the above set with the crafted pants too.  If you have more money than time, then get all three crafted items to save yourself some time farming badges...

264 - back - [Sentinel's Winter Cloak] - 50 Emblem of Frost
264 - legs - [Pillars of Might] - crafted
264 - feet - [Boots of Kingly Upheaval] - crafted

Number of Emblem of Triumph required: 338
Number of Emblem of Frost required: 50
Number of drops: 5
Number of crafted items: 3
Gearscore: 5206
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:01:17 PM by krick »

Wayne

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »

Let me just second this list; it's pretty much spot on.  The alliance versions are Turalyon's instead of Liadrin's, but otherwise are the same.  I'd also like to add the [Bracers of the Herald] from Heroic Old Kingdom (Ahn'kahet) is serviceable until you get the money/mats for the Swordbreakers.  I also chose to keep [The Black Heart] from regular ToC instead of going with Ick's thumb, but this is a personal preference.  Also depending on your preference, [Falric's Wrist-Chopper] is another decent weapon that drops from heroic Halls of Reflection.  I personally find the sword better overall, but the Axe is functionally equivalent.

I gave up trying to get the 219 ring from H ToC and just kept my [Titanium Earthguard Ring] I received as a gift from a ex-guildmate when I dinged 80.  As long as you're pretty close to this list, you should be able to tank ICC10 for a rep run (i.e. trash only) and do that enough times to get to friendly with the Ashen Verdict and get a very nice ring from that.

Zarila

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »

Good guide!

However, in my opinion, the 4 set bonus from T9 isn't 100% necessary for tanks, you really shouldn't even be using DP that often.

Instead, I'd drop the the 4 set bonus and get some of the 245 upgrades. If you're rich, you can even splurge out for [Pillars of Might] as well, and your GS as well as tanking ability will sky rocket.

Just my 2 cents.

krick

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the input.

The idea of this guide was to get people as close to 5000 gear score as quickly as possible so that they can start raiding ICC10.

I don't have the 4-set bonus.  I included both 245 off-set helm and shoulder since they're higher level pieces than the T9 helm and shoulders.

I went with the crafted primordial saronite boots in the upgraded set but I decided to not include the pants for two reasons.  1) They're really frickin expensive, and 2) people might PuG VoA and get the T10 pants.

But yes, if you threw in the crafted pants, it would be a big boost to your tanking stats.

I'll update the original post with another set that includes the crafted pants to see what we end up with score-wise.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:00:06 PM by krick »

johanullen

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »

How much should primordial saronite cost? I'm thinking to get the boots and saw them and AH for about 10k, primordial saronite on my server was for about 900 a piece last night, is that a reasonable price? That would mean almost 5k for all the mats.

When I die it is the healers fault,
when the healer dies it is my fault,
when a dps dies it is his own damn fault!

krick

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »

When I had my pants crafted, I spent 1800g-2000g on each primordial saronite, so I think I spent a total of about 15K gold on materials.

So, in my opinion, 900g is a fantastic price for primordial saronite. :)

DebilDog

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »

One thing that you could also do is do a pug rep run in ICC 10 and get the rep ring. While I agree pug raid can be less than desirable doing rep runs is fairly simple albeit kind of monotonous and not to difficult even with pugs. Also if your guild doesn't do ICC as soon as server reset you can pug until you do because you are not getting saved. That is how I became the first to be exalted in my guild and one of the first to be selling the craftable items on the server.

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »

By request, I've put together a sample pre-raid gear set.
This is the Horde set.  The Alliance badge gear is equivalent but has slightly different names.

This set is entirely composed of items that you can purchase with Emblem of Triumph, drops from 5-man dungeons, and one crafted item:

213 - back - [Platinum Mesh Cloak] - 25 Emblem of Valor (downgrade triumph badges)
232 - feet - [Black Spire Sabatons] - drop Forge of Souls (H)

Number of Emblem of Triumph required: 413
Number of drops: 6
Number of crafted items: 1
Gearscore: 4962

I'm somewhere between this list and the next, as I have every item on this list except for [Platinum Mesh Cloak] (I already got the [Sentinel's Winter Cloak]); the Belt, which I am planning to get the [Indestructible Plate Girdle] this evening; ring2, trinket1, and my weapon is [Falric's Wrist-Chopper].

I believe my gs is about the same as you list above - 4972, if I'm not mistaken.  Adding the crafted Belt this evening should raise me further, and adding an [Eternal Belt Buckle] (as always), and 3 epic gems should raise my gear score and raid-worthiness on Wow-Heroes as well.  Currently I have the [Titanium Links of Lore] with an Eternal Buckle and a +24 STA gem.  Because of the Blue and Red socket on the Belt, and +9 STA socket bonus, I may put 2 +30 STA gems and a [Shifting Dreadstone] to get the socket bonus...

And not only the crafted belt, but I should be able to get enough Triumph emblems to get the [Glyph of Indomitability] also.

At that point, I'll still be wanting another ring, and looking at getting the White Knight chest crafted.

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

krick

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:27 PM »

I believe my gs is about the same as you list above - 4972, if I'm not mistaken.  Adding the crafted Belt this evening should raise me further, and adding an [Eternal Belt Buckle] (as always), and 3 epic gems should raise my gear score and raid-worthiness on Wow-Heroes as well. 

The in-game Gearscore mod doesn't take gems or enchants into account, sadly.  That's one of the biggest complaints from users.

The wow-heroes site (and their gear score) does however.

I think the wowhead profiler score does as well...
http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.senjin.bloodniron

Bloodniron

• BLOOD...and IRON!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »

Understood, and agreed!  Yeah, I have started more and more looking at the Wow-Heroes site rather than just the GS.  And as Ani and others have said, the Wow-Heroes site offers easy access to possible upgrades, and, in my opinion, a better way to do that than thru wowarmory...

I have not yet checked the Wowhead sheet, I'll check that one out at home.  Thanks, tanks...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:51:29 PM by Bloodniron »

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a room. A round room. A round rubber room. A round rubber room with rats. Rats? They drive me crazy! Crazy? I was crazy once. They...

krick

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »

It has been brought to my attention that I overlooked the slightly higher level 219 [Eerie Runeblade Polisher] in my first sample gear set.

I'll have run some dungeons and get my hands on it (and any of the other items that I sharded in a recent bank cleaning fenzy) and update the set and gearscore info.

I also need to include the crafted 226 [Indestructible Plate Girdle] in some of the sets by popular demand.

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:37:26 AM by krick »

krick

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »

Make sure you get the 232 cloak drop off the Midsummer holiday boss "Ahune, the Frost Lord"...

[Icebound Cloak]

If you get it, then your first frost badge purchase should probably be the trinket instead of the cloak.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:23:22 AM by admin »

johanullen

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 11:19:08 AM »

Make sure you get the 232 cloak drop off the Midsummer holiday boss "Ahune, the Frost Lord"...

[Icebound Cloak]

If you get it, then your first frost badge purchase should probably be the trinket instead of the cloak.

Wowhead shows the old version of the cloak, the new one is a lot better at ilvl 232.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:23:31 AM by admin »

When I die it is the healers fault,
when the healer dies it is my fault,
when a dps dies it is his own damn fault!

Izzabellia

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

Have been seeing Saronite for 650 gold on Garona server while the Pillars of Might are going for 13k gold at AH. Also have been using my main 10 man run to get saronite for my pally tank. K
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:58:59 PM by Izzabellia »

Randomoccer

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »

i have lvl42 tankadin and all the gear advice is for lvl80! does this mean i don't need to sweat the gear question til then?

Isilador

• Armory
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »

i have lvl42 tankadin and all the gear advice is for lvl80! does this mean i don't need to sweat the gear question til then

At your level, simply look for gear with stamina, strength and Armour. this is also a lvl 80 gearing guide, I'm sure there are lower level gearing guides on this forum as well, but they are probably older and farther back in the records, if you need more information.

Ironshield

• Ironshield's Random Thoughts
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:55 AM »

My experience was that as long as you take the best tanking gear (most armor / stam / def) available from the drops and quests that you get along the way you shouldn't have to Target or buy any gear. If you're a BS there are quite a few decent pieces you can craft along the way as well but it means quite a bit of time mining materials. Also get Tankpoints addon but read the blurb so you know when to over rule it.

Randomoccer

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »

Thank you everyone for the prompt responses...i'll keep plugging away

Iamthanatos

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »

ok i know this is not the right forum for this question but i can not find the right thread for my question. so anyways i currently have all the bis gear for tanking and i just purchased the t10 helm so along with the shoulders i get the 2pc bonus so my question is is this going to affect my rotation at all or is it strictly deeps that affects rotation once u get the tier gear?

Isilador

• Armory
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »

Thats correct. It only adds 20% more damage from [Hammer of the Righteous]

Spelz

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »

This thread deserves another THANKS  :)

Spelz

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »

So, I came back to look at this list properly, now that I can actually buy things. The first thing I notice is that most of the pieces are tier 9. Some non-tank in my guild assured me that t10 was essential for kingslayer. What gives? I am going with kricks list unless someone tells me I've missed something?

Edit: maybe I am missing something? The Triumph QM in Dalaran isnt selling a lot of the stuff on that list.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:35:00 PM by Spelz »

krick

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:31 AM »

So, I came back to look at this list properly, now that I can actually buy things. The first thing I notice is that most of the pieces are tier 9. Some non-tank in my guild assured me that t10 was essential for kingslayer. What gives? I am going with kricks list unless someone tells me I've missed something?

Edit: maybe I am missing something? The Triumph QM in Dalaran isnt selling a lot of the stuff on that list.

1) This is meant to be a guide to get geared for ICC as quickly as possible.  Obviously, you won't be able to down the LK in this gear unless you're being carried by 9 other people who are much better geared.  Basically, this gear is for running the first few bosses in ICC over and over until everyone is geared enough to move to the next wing.  During that time, you'll get better gear drops, and Frost badges that you can use to purchase T10, one piece at a time.  If you and 9 other people do ICC the intended way, it will take you several months (or possibly more) to get geared up enough to take on the LK.

2) The Triumph QM in Dalaran only sells the off-set T9 pieces.  If you want the T9 set pieces, you need to go to the blacksmithing building and talk to one of the vendors there.

3)  Since the 4.0.1 patch dropped, I'm not sure what the situation is with Triumph badges.  Do they still exist?  I know that they consolidated a bunch of the older badge types together.  I think they might be "Justice Points" now.

EDIT:  I just looked on Wowhead.  It looks like everything was converted to Justice Points and it appears that you can purchase T10 with them as well, though they cost quite a bit more than the T9 stuff.  I guess that Frost badges and Triumph badges don't exist anymore.  If you have a lot of points, just get the T10 stuff instead.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:26:57 AM by krick »

Spelz

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »

Thx for the quick reply. I dont have a lot of points, but I am trying to get a shot at Kingslayer before Dec 7th. If I had more time I would go thru tier 9 to tier 10, but because time is short, I think I'll try to skip T9. What do you think?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.627 seconds with 23 queries.